Monday, January 16, 2012

I seem to have fallen into the world of pastry. Well, I guess I actually jumped. Upon accepting the title of Sous, I fully knew I would be expected to take over all duties held by the previous Sous. This is common practice. Uncommon is the fact that the previous Sous just happens to be an up-and-coming "Pastry Diva."  Oh, and there's a tasting for big boss man in two days. Yeah. Mousse and ganache and rehydrating fruit and candying nuts and cookie bases and sugar applications and well... yes. Lots of pastry. And I feel slightly shaky. Maybe a sugar rush. Funny thing happened. After my 12 hour day of work, a friend/neighbor had a question about a dessert she was making. I got this weird pit in my stomach. One that said "What if you don't know the answer to her question? What kind of pastry chef would you be?" So she asked. And I knew the answer. No doubts. No having to look it up or having to call the Diva. I knew. It wasn't an uber technical question, but I knew. Not only was I relieved, but I was kind of proud. I guess I have to own what I know and continue learning as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment